Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Subtitles in Video Games.

My brother Shawn, an avid video game player, asked me to blog about subtitles in video games. He buys all his games and accessories from Game Stop...I've learned that it is the world largest video game retailer. It has stores all over North America and in other countries as well.

Currently my brother is playing a game called God of War. He loves this game, however, he's disappointed that it doesn't have subtitles in it as other great games like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Final Fantasy X, and Kingdom Hearts. This game God of War has received a rare perfect 10 rating from Game Stop's magazine called Game Informer. I checked it out and decided to e-mail them about it. Read below.

---
Date: Tues, 29 Nov 2005
From: sonnyjames@yahoo.com
Subject: Feedback On Ratings.
To: reiner@gameinformer.com
CC: joe@gameinformer.com

Mr. Reiner,

Based on your perfect 10 rating on God of War in April of 2005 issue. I purchased the game from my local Game Stop and I loved the game except one thing.

I was immediately disappointed by one thing that happens too often in video games. Like millions of other forgotten people, I'm deaf and my brother who is hard of hearing, we are unable to truly enjoy the game like others who can hear because there are no subtitles to the awesome storyline it has.

Highly rated games like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Final Fantasy X, and Kingdom Hearts has subtitles in their games, those are the games that we love because of the subtitles and we have been hoping that more games will follow suit.

I hope you will have Game Informer to encourage game makers to add subtitles to their games by adding a new standard to your ratings by checking if they have subtitles or not. If not, deduct ? number of points, if have subtitles, add ? number of points.

I hope to hear back from you about this feedback on ratings regarding subtitles in games.

Thanks,
Sonny

No comments: