Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Laws On Web Accessability.

I did a bit of web searching on what are the laws out there for us deafies on web accessability. I was directed to two Sections, 255 of the Telecommunication Act and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.

I read through it and I have to admit, I'm lost. Not because I didn't understand it, it's because of two things.

First, there's a huge gap missing for what must be provided for us on the Internet, specifically along the lines of web captioning. Is there anybody or an organization out there that is working on filling in this gap? We can only do so much to promote and encourage websites to provide captions on their videos but realistically enforcing the law is the way to go.

Secondly, section 508 is only limited to the federal sector. What I'm lost on is why doesn't it enforce the same rules to those in private sector that receives federal funding? This is one obvious way to broaden the powers of section 508.

To sum this up, when new technology or an idealogy comes, we must go back to our laws and ensure that its updated otherwise we'll be left in the dust.

No comments: