Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Attempt #1.5 - Interpreter for the Doctor's Office.

Immediately after 'Attempt #1' - I contacted my local GACHI advocate (Georgia Council for the Hearing Impaired, Inc) about being turned away after asking for an interpreter at the doctor's office.

I explained what had happened and gave the advocate the address and phone number of the doctor's office from the business card I've gotten. The advocate said they'll send the doctor's office information sheets and pamphlets on the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) on requiring interpreters at the doctor's office. If the doctor's office turn me away after the 2nd time, they'll call and may visit the office to educate them and help me to get the services that they're required to provide.

The second step after getting in touch with my local GACHI advocate - I called my insurance carrier and changed my PCP (Primary Care Physician) provider to the one that I had visited. I also took the opportunity to explain on what had recently happened and the customer representative that I spoke with assured me that this should have not happen and if it happened again, my insurance carrier will contact the doctor's office and lobby on my behalf to have them to provide an interpreter.

I've just received a new insurance card in the mail with the correct PCP on my card. I will be going to the doctor's office this afternoon and keep you posted.

No comments: