Thursday, May 04, 2006

Unity For Gallaudet.

From Cave Spring, GA...I read every blog and news link I can find about the protest going on at Gallaudet University over the process and selection of Dr. Fernandes.

I am disappointed to find that there are one too many blogs out there that are essentially sticking up their noses at the protest that is going on its fourth day at Gallaudet. I cannot help but think of this poem by Pastor Martin Niemoller.

"First they came..."

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
To be clear here, I am not comparing the protest with War World II. I'm merely sharing the same sentiments that I'm feeling about this issue. We all need to come together in 'Unity For Gallaudet' regardless of affiliations, age, background, color, communication modes, sex, and more.

No comments: